THE authorities have halted an alleged illegal sand processing operation in Puchong following a tip-off by The Malay Mail.
It was initially thought that the site was being used for a sand theft operation but it turned out that a sub-contractor hired to reclaim land on the northern banks of a lake had been processing sand as a side income.
After the operation was halted on Wednesday, nine offi cers from the Petaling District and Land Office and four from the Selangor Water Management Board (LUAS) visited the site on Thursday to meet with the sub-contractor.
Petaling District and Land Office assistant district officer (enforcement) Abdul Shariz Izwan Abdul Shukor said the sub-contractor had almost no offi cial documents allowing him to operate.
“The only document he has is one from the Companies Commission of Malaysia,” he said
“He does have a permit from us to stockpile sand, but for a location in Kinrara, not here.”
Abdul Shariz said the subcontractor also failed to produce a permit from the local council while LUAS enforcement offi cers who took part in the raid found he had no approval from them to use the water from the lake for his activities.
It is also understood that the sub-contractor had kept inadequate records of the sand he processed, only keeping track of the weight and type of sand, not the source.
Abdul Shariz Izwan said that although the subcontractor would be allowed to continue bringing in sand, he could not process any sand there or remove any sand from the site.
The Malay Mail began investigating the operation in November last year reconnoitered the area surrounding Taman Puchong Prima, Desa Millennia and Taman Perindustrian Puchong Utama after receiving a tip-off of possible sand theft there.
At least two developments were being carried out there but one was not identifiable as no board was spotted, though hoarding surrounded the site in certain spots.
Inside, it appeared to be a large flat sandy expanse with three large piles of dirt, one at the west of the clearing, two more towards the east near the water’s edge.
At least two excavators and a number of lorries were seen operating in the area, as well as a large pipe pumping out water.
To east, an exit point in Taman Perindustrian Puchong Utama was found, though no notice board was visible. A lorry was seen leaving the area which The Malay Mail followed to another development in Mukim Klang. Stopping just inside the construction area, the lorry driver removed the cover to reveal a mass of dirt or sand before continuing on.